Core purpose of the role:
The main purpose of the job is carry out diagnostics, service and repairs to commercial vehicles which includes: truck tractors, trailers, semi-trailers and lifting equipment. This may include but is not limited to: auxiliary equipment, suspensions, combinations, intermediate electrical and air braking systems, hydraulics and pneumatics within OEM requirements and specifications.
Key deliverables and outputs:
1.Carry out a defect inspection and report on a truck tractor, trailer, semi-trailer, tanker and lifting equipment (incl. braking systems, suspensions, structural components, electrical systems, hydraulics, auxiliary equipment and pneumatics).
2.Carry out the services as per OEM requirements.
3.To complete/oversee the repairs of any defects found.
4.Complete complaint, cause and correction on job cards for sign off (individual and supervisor/foreman).
5.Complete all relevant administrative requirements, including, but not limited to service sheets, stores requisitions, technical data sheets etc.
6.Work according to OE standard repair times.
7.Use and understand diagnostic equipment.
8.Choose alternative ways of carrying out tasks (innovation).
9.Operate electrical and mechanical equipment pertaining to the job, i.e. power tools.
10.Ensure integrity of all related tools of the trade.
11.Carry out welding, grinding and assembling.
12.Work according to occupational health and safety requirements.
13.Supervision of employees, where applicable (incl. general worker, artisan assistant, semi-skilled worker and apprentice).
14.Co-ordination and collaboration of employees working on the same vehicle.
15.Helping where needed and carrying out any reasonable requests
- Academic qualifications
- Matric/ Grade 12 with Mathematics and English
- Trade tested diesel mechanic
- Certificate of fitness (COF)
- Willingness to adhere to company stand by and overtime requirements Work experience
- 3 – 5 years of experience in a heavy duty transport / commercial vehicle workshop
- Understanding of technical data specifications
- Communicate efficiently in English
- Taking instructions in English
- Technical aptitude and ability
- In-depth knowledge of diagnostic equipment
- Intermediate knowledge of airbrakes
- Intermediate electrical knowledge
- Intermediate knowledge of axles and suspensions
- Advanced knowledge of engines, transmissions and drive lines