You will work in close collaboration with other interfaces in the Trading & Supply (T&S) organization to ensure alignment of end-to-end objectives and integrated outcomes for the enterprise, balancing consideration for robustness of third-party options, in compliance with Shell Business Principles and HSSE standards. In addition, you will be responsible for the development and coaching of two staff members within the Hydrocarbon Team.
- The incumbent is responsible for managing and developing the third-party hydrocarbon relationships and delivering Net Income Before Interest and After Tax (NIBIAT) targets (Fuels, Chemicals and Gases) in line with the business goals.
- The Hydrocarbon Team Lead will be accountable for the end to end management (both relationship and transactional) across all partner interfaces both internal and external
- This role will manage a deal implementer and a dealmaker in terms of HR responsibilities and development support.
- The senior dealmaker is responsible to ensure the development and execution of a sourcing and selling strategy across oil majors in South Africa in a way that balances the Integrated Performance Unit (IPU) and optimizes against relative import/export and Gross Refining Margin economics in line with an optimization steer.
- One team mindset – across Trading & Supply (T&S) and the IPU as well as effective collaboration with the Shell Trading joint ventures in South Africa and the Shell Global Trading Network.
- Close Collaboration with internal functions and partners, specifically T&S Operations, Legal, Contracting and Procurement, Tax and Finance.
- The Deal Making team in Shell Downstream South Africa (SDSA) is the centre piece of the fuels value chain’s competitive strategy, thorough understanding of the several relevant market levers (Trading-, Supply-, Wholesale-, Retail market is a central task to this role. The competitiveness of other Classes of Business (e.g. Retail, Cards, and Manufacturing) depends heavily on the success of this team
- The incumbent will be responsible for closely overseeing the day to day business and enable the Dealmakers to be in the market with customers as regular as possible/reasonable.
- Two direct reports
- Manage Profit and Loss accountability for the Hydrocarbon portfolio (Fuels, Chemicals and Gases)
- Contract Negotiations:
- Develops third party term & spot hydrocarbon buy and sell contracting strategy with steering input from the Channel/Product Optimisation (CO/PO) teams.
- Responsible for negotiating and structuring contractual arrangements with third parties. The contracting objective is to maximize Enterprise values, to enable supply chain robustness and creating optionality.
- Contributes to maximizing Enterprise Integrated Value through
- Being a key interface to the supply/refining market
- Bringing meaningful market insights into the optimization process
- Generating opportunities based on the knowledge of the Shell system and matching those to local or regional market trends
- Maximize value from marginal barrels disposition in the spot market
- Explore optimization opportunities on local 3rd party options (hydrocarbons)
- Represent Hydrocarbon Deal Making (HCDM) in the Sales and Operations Planning (S&OP) process
- A bachelor’s degree with a minimum 7 years’ experience within fuels trading, supply contracts and Supply Chain knowledge.
- Established experience of negotiations
- Strong leadership, communication, stakeholder management and engagement skills
- Good commercial acumen, able to understand internal business drivers to improve data, information and processes to impact the business bottom line
- Experience of /creating/driving/delivering operational excellence e.g. internal continuous improvement programs etc.
- Understand external regulations to protect the business from fines and penalties
- Working knowledge of trading operations processes and IT systems
- Experience in cross function and cross business teams
- Delivering results through others
- Compliance Control, Risk & Exposure Management
Throughout its long association with South Africa, Shell has played an important role in the country, not only as a premier oil company, but also as a committed corporate citizen and change agent.
Our core values of honesty, integrity and respect for people form the basis of the Shell General Business Principles.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.